Make a colorful Mardi Gras Wreath with items you can easily find at the Dollar Store
Mardi Gras is right around the corner and we have a fun wreath that you can make for under $10 that will brighten up your door!
DIY Mardi Gras Wreath
While the parades may be cancelled this year you can still enjoy the holiday spirit by decorating your home for yourself and others!
- Wire Wreath Form
- Feather Boas
- Mardi Gras Masks
- Curly Ribbons
Tips for Making a Feather Boa Wreath
Using feather boas to create wreaths is ridiculously simple. Just snip, twist, and tie. It really cannot get much easier than that.
When creating a wreath though, there are some design elements to keep in mind, especially when creating a brightly colored wreath such as this Mardi Gras one.
When picking out colors for a bright wreath stick to the rule of 3 colors + 1 shade. Pretty easy for Mardi Gras right? Green, yellow, purple…and done.
Just make sure that the shades you pick play into the bold colors so you don’t have a visual mess. Too much happening on one wreath is never a good idea. That is why for this wreath one of the masks (green) matches the green boa while the purple plays on the shade of the blue/purple.
This helps create a uniformed look that pulls all the colors and elements of the wreath together. It turned out super pretty if you ask me!
How to Make a DIY Mardi Gras Wreath
Ready to get crafting? You will find the full tutorial below!
- 14” Wire Wreath Form (Dollar Tree)
- Mardi Gras Masks (Dollar Tree)
- Yellow Curly Ribbons (Dollar Tree)
- 2 Purple Feather Boas (Dollar Tree)
- 1 Green Feather Boa (Dollar Tree)
- 2 Yellow/Purple/Green Multi-Colored Feather Boas (Dollar Tree)
- Tie the end of one purple feather boa to the wreath form. Each boa comes with a loop attached to each end. Place the loop under the wreath and push it up around one wire by pushing the end of the loop back through itself and pull tightly so it wraps tightly around the one wire.
- Wrap the purple boa around the wreath form which should reach about 3/4 around the wreath. Tie off the end of the boa to the closest wire.
- Take the second purple boa and cut the loop one end of the boa in half. Tie this second purple boa to the end of the first purple boa by threading one end of the cut loop through the knot of the first boa and tie a knot. Roll the whole knot around the wire to the back side of the wreath.
- Wrap the second purple boa around the wreath. Wherever it ends, flip the wreath over, cut the loop in half and tie around one of the wreath wires.
- Wrap the wreath with the remaining 3 feather boas in the same manner. Add the green boa, then two multi-colored boas. The fluffy feathers will hide all the knots.
- Gage where you want to add the two Mardi Gras masks. Lay one of the yellow curly ribbons across the wreath form where you want your mask, then place the mask on top. I simply used the curly ribbon to help the eyes of the mask show up better against the boas. Holding the mask down tightly, flip the wreath over. Take the two black ribbons that come attached to the mask and weave each one under a wire on the wreath and then tightly tie the two ribbons together securing the mask. Follow the same process for the second mask. Lastly, cut off any excess black ribbon from the masks.
For more fun DIY Wreath ideas visit DollarCrafter.com
More Homemade Wreaths You Will Love!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite holiday crafts board on Pinterest.