Transform these wooden Dollar Store signs into a lovely reminder of the most magical couple, Mickey, and Minnie Mouse with this simple DIY Disney Love Sign Tutorial!
No time to make this craft right now? No problem! Pin it for later!
Homemade Mickey and Minnie Love Signs
We completely love Mickey (and all things Disney) here at Dollar Crafter, and hope y’all do too! These dollar store signs are so much fun to transform and the perfect afternoon project for when you want to add a little magic to your home decor without going all out.
Tips to Paint These Mickey and Minnie Love Signs
When we found these LOVE signs at Dollar Tree, I knew I had to create something with them. They are adorable and were only $1 each!
However, these signs are made out of wooden particle board. They will definitely hold up, but there is some prep work you need to do to get the paint to pop.
Before you get into all the fun decorating and detail painting on your signs, you are going to want to add a couple layers of white paint as a basecoat. Two or three coats should do the trick.
You can totally skip the basecoat if you want to go for a more rustic look. Just know that if you do the end result will have a much duller color and parts of the particle board may show through the paint.
Once you have everything primed and ready to go you are good to roll and start decorating! If you ask me these would be absolutely adorable to add photos to behind the “O” to hang on the wall 🙂
How to Make These Disney Love Signs
Let’s get crafting! Below is our written tutorial.
- Wooden LOVE Signs (2) – Dollar Store
- Buttons (2) Yellow – Dollar Store
- Craft Foam – Black – Dollar Store
- Ribbon – Red with White Polka Dots
- Craft Paint – White, Black, Red
- Pencil with New Eraser
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Painter’s Tape
- Gather all supplies. Remove tags from wooden LOVE signs. Since these signs are made of a wooden particle board, apply a basecoat to the front, back, and sides with white acrylic craft paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary. The white basecoat will allow the red and black colors to pop.
- Using the center of the letter “E” apply painter’s tape across the front and sides of each sign. Paint the top section of both signs with black acrylic craft paint. Apply a second coat, if necessary and then carefully remove the painter’s tape. Set both signs aside to dry.
- Topcoat the front, back and sides of the bottom section of each sign with red acrylic craft paint. Apply a second coat, if necessary and set aside to dry.
- Create polka dots with white acrylic craft paint and a new pencil eraser over the red section of the Minnie Love sign. Dip the pencil eraser into white craft paint and dab onto the sign in a random fashion. This will give consistent size polka dots.
- Create a one-inch circle template with a scrap of paper. Use a craft punch, circle template, cookie cutter or anything you can find around the house. Trace the one-inch circle onto black craft foam four times, and then cut out with scissors.
- To assemble Mickey, attach two craft foam ears to the top of the “O” and two yellow buttons to the bottom with a glue gun and glue sticks. Use white buttons instead of yellow or color white buttons yellow with acrylic craft paint.
- To assemble Minnie, attach two craft foam ears to the top of the “O” with a glue gun and glue sticks. Tie red and white polka dot ribbon into a bow, trimming ends to finish. Glue the bow to the top of the “O” in the center of the two ears.
For more fun Disney crafts visit DollarCrafter.com
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite holiday crafts board on Pinterest.